Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Suprise Karaoke

Last night I was supposed to meet the Mexican teacher at our school for a leisurely dinner at 7:30pm. We were going to sit down, relax, and get to know each other. At 7:25pm she calles me and tells me that some friends from 3 hours away just showed up, and would I like to have dinner and do Karaoke with them?

What was I to say? Of course I told her yes. So we went to dinner with her three friends. It turns out that Marta used to work with him, before she taught. He works for a big bottle company, and is in fact a General Manager there. Marta used to export many of their products to Mexico, in her former career.

After Dinner we went to Karaoke TV (or KTV as the locals would say). During our karaoke experience I learned many things. I learned that my Chinese friends sing better than I do (in English), that I should never attempt a singing career, and that they pay close attention to what you do, even when they are drinking.

I sang many songs that I shall not tell you about, but the highlight was when my working friend told me "I was a very good man because I did not drink or smoke, and that most people would have drank just a little." He then told me he thought that all the girls wanted a guy who drank and smoked.

He asked me where my girlfriend was, and after telling him 4 times that I did not have one, he finally believed me. I told him that if I was to find a girlfriend it would be one who does not value those qualities in men.

My favorite part was when he asked me how I was going to get one, and the look on his face was complete shock, when I told him I did not want one right now.

My hope is that we will be able to get together this week, and I can talk more with him.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Well, I could have told you that you couldn't sing in English (but then again you could tell me the same thing :o) I wish I could see video of that. Maybe it would win some money.

Unknown said...

Some sample conversation Elena has had:

"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No."
--They all look at each other extremely confused--
"...Why?"
"Is it necessary?"
--They all look at each other, burst into laughter--
"No, they are not necessary."

Or how about this one:

"Can I ask a personal question?"
"Okay."
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No."
"Really?"
"No."
"In America?"
"No."
"Do you want a local one?"
"I don't want any."
"Why?"
"A boy cannot make you happy."
"Really?"
"No."
"My roommate has boyfriend, but I do not think he spends enough money on her."

Yeah, the first one was funny. The second one was just sad.