At the end of the line was security, a 2 hour wait, and a South African whom I had a lovely chat with about the town, and what to see. I managed to finish this affair about 11:15am, which worked real swell, because I needed to check out of the dormitories and into a actual room at noon. I made it back to the hotel about 11:50am went and grabbed my stuff, and went to the front counter to check out. I successfully changed rooms and then they wanted me to pay. Well I had to explain to them that I simply didn’t have enough HK$ and that I need to change money. They were surprisingly fine with this, and I was off.
It was about 2pm when I found a bank to change money at. After successfully changing money, I went to lunch at KFC (Western food is the same price as local food here) and then went shopping. I managed to leave my camera charger in China, and so I needed to find a way to charge it here. I managed after two hours of walking and shopping to find one. Unfortunately it was more than I wanted to pay but oh well.
After that I went to the “Ladies Market”. This was the first time that I’ve gone shopping and really felt successful in my Chinese. It was amazing to see how when I spoke to them in Chinese, told them I was a teacher, and made what little small talk I could they would drop the prices for me. It also allowed me to bargain prices down in front of other foreigners that didn’t speak mandarin.
When that was all done I returned to the YMCA paid for my room, and then decided that I would take the ferry to see the place. I took the ferry twice (I loved it!) and then saw this landing that everyone was going to. So like a good tourist I followed everyone else. What I soon learned is that every night at 8pm, they do the largest light show in the world. (Check Guinness it’s there). I met a fellow from Sweden there and we spent the rest of the night together.
After the show we walked and talked for a while,
We walked for a bit more after that, parted ways and I returned to my room. All in all, a good day, and spent more than I was planning on.
1 comment:
Dude - I totally stayed at the YMCA in HK twice last summer. I don't remember what floors I stayed on, but I do remember that the bed wasn't long enough, the water pressure in the shower was really good (and really hot! It felt great after all that traveling!) and the breakfast in the restaurant was really yummy. I'm glad you're enjoying your visit!
Post a Comment