Monday, November 26, 2007

English Corner Mishap

Have you ever tried to a tell a story about history and been completely wrong? I was talking at my school’s English corner when someone asked me about thanksgiving…

“Well you see, there were these people in England who couldn’t worship God in the way that they felt God told them to. So they set sail on these three ships: the Inca, the Maya, and the Santa Maria. They were at sea for a very long time.
Do you know how much water there is between Europe and America? …(Pause)… Well there is a lot! And these people were at sea for a very long time, and they got tired of being at sea. So when they finally found land again, one of the first things they did was to get off and give thanks to God for providing for them…”

Luckily another teacher (Nate) interrupted me at this point and asked if they would like to know the real story…

---Well, I may not be the best historian ever, but I will have you know that they were all eating it up like candy.

No comments: