Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Blizzard 2008

Being most recently from Iowa, one sort of expects snow in the winter. It seems only to make sense that if it is going to get really cold, that you ought to be able to enjoy the snow…

Well I was thinking that being into the end of January and not really seeing any snow yet, that I would have to wait until maybe next year. Imagine my surprise when on the evening of 2 days before I was to leave the country it started snowing!

The next morning I went out and everything was covered in this perfect white blanket of snow. The locals were walking around with umbrella to protect them from the snow, and in a surprisingly cheery mood. With the snow being only about an inch deep, everyone still thought it was pretty.

The snow continued to surprise me when it didn’t stop. It’s now the day before I am to leave, and we have now about 3-4 inches on the ground. I’m loving it, it’s like being back home, but not as cold. Everywhere there are guards out begrudgingly shoveling the snow out of the streets and driveways, and thinking that is not what they were hired to do…

On the morning I am to leave, I wake up and realize it has finally stopped snowing. I am pretty relieved to see that as we were getting a fair amount of snow. After getting ready and having some quiet time, I look out and realize we have over a foot of snow! It was so pretty but really devastating to a country that doesn’t normally get snow!

While talking to a taxi driver later that night, he told me it was the most snow they had seen in 30 years! Others have told me 50 years, either way all I can say is that it did strand me in the city for another day, but was really nice to see.

No comments: